Wednesday, June 21, 2006

First beach run experience

Well yesterday I had my first beach run. I waited until 8pm to run thinking it would be the best time to go. I didn't realize you have to be careful running out there when it's getting dark - dodging sandcastles, jumping over motes, watching out for people just strolling along not paying attention to you.

It's a good thing Edwin brought "Pedro" - a GPS watch/mileage tracker thingie I bought him for Christmas - I would have passed our hotel if not for Pedro as it was dark by the time I completed my 2 miles.

My times were much much slower. Don't ever run after a day of sun, a drink and a sunburn. Not good combinations. Plus the wind blowing in your face feels good but it's hard to run against.

My first mile was 11:53, second mile 13:46. I know, terribly slow, but hey I"m just starting out. It confuses me because I've always been somewhat athletic, up until maybe 3 years ago. Cheerleading, tennis, basketball, raquetball, aerobics. Not saying I was good at any of it, but I could do it and enjoyed it. So now something that should be simple like running - heck my 3 year old runs everywhere! And it's kicking my butt!

I am c0nsidering some races - just to see if I CAN do them. I've done one 5k in my life. It was pretty sad :) I think it took me 40 minutes or so to run the 3.1 miles or whatever a 5k is . . . . I even offered to pay a police officer $100 to drive me to the finish line. He just laughed at me, the nerve . . . .


Anyways, vacation is going great. We wish we could live here and not have to go back to the real world. It's so nice just being a family and doing fun things together, hanging out at the beach, the pool, playing tennis (we bought the girls little raquets too), went to Schlitterbahn today. We haven't been much of a family lately so it's nice to remember how to do that. And the girls have been so good, not fighting or anything like that. Nice.

6 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Glad you all had a great time on vacation! Welcome to the world of blogging. I think you've gotten off to a great start.

My first 5K was 41-plus minutes in April 2003 so don't worry about it!

Problem is with your mile times right now, you'll be kicking my butt here shortly!

It was good to see both of you at the HARRA Banquet. I apologize for having multiple constituencies to serve and hoping maybe that at the HRB pool party next month, I can spend some non-business time and get to know everyone in the club better.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

the secret runner is no longer a secret!!! welcome!!! next thing you know I'll have you running the half marathon w/ me....

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Donna said...

LOL - I've been considering it, just don't know that I can be ready for 13 miles by January.

Edwin gave me his Running for Idiots book though so maybe if I stay motivated I can do it :)

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Tiggs said...

all you need is 12-18 weeks of consistant training and you can run it!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Junie B said...

welcome to our world!!!!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

three down...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home