Thursday, June 29, 2006

Questions

OK you seasoned runners. A couple of questions for you.

1. Is it more important to run your miles as fast as you can or run continuously for as far as you can??

Tonight I decided that I need to run for 30 minutes, regardless of how far I went. So I ran slower on purpose so that I wouldn't get tired. I also wore a heart rate monitor so I would know how much work I was doing. Not that I fully understand that yet either.

Mile one, continuous running -
Time: 11:30 Avg Heart Rate:172
Mile two, walked first 30 seconds, ran continuously rest - Time
12:28, Avg Heart Rate: 179
Walked one minute - ran
0.43 mile, Time: 5:03, Avg Heart Rate: 179

Total time 30:01; 2.43 miles

Question 2:
Someone explain where I want my heart rate. I'm mostly wanting to be in fat burning mode right now and everything I've found online says my heart rate should be lower, but I can't run and keep my heart rate out of aerobic mode. So confused . . .

Anyone care to help me understand? I'm 31 if you need to know that.


5 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

I wish I could help Donna, but I am clueless. I have been looking into getting a HRM, though. Of course, then it means I will have to figure out more about my HR, too!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Crosstrain said...

Arthur Newton developed 9 laws of training in the 30's which have become pretty well established over time. Law # 2 is Start Gradually and Train Gently. Law #3 is Train First for Distance, Only Later for Speed. So be patient and be comfortable. You will build up a foundation over time. This web site explains some of this. http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUHAC/Training/15laws1.php

Congratulations on getting started!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Donna, I'm going to get together some information on HRM training and post it on my blog. Please be patient with me. It may be some time this week.

five....

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Thanks all of you.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

Donna- Manny explained it all to me. All I know is that I shoot for 85% of my max as the average...maybe Vic's post will help me too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home