Saturday, August 12, 2006

First Official Race Today!

Wow, I can't believe I've gone 11 days without posting. I HAVE been running, but haven't been posting it.

But today I ran my first OFFICAL 5k. I ran one a couple of years ago with zero training, just one of those spur of the moment really stupid ideas. That time was 40 minutes and something. My goal today was to run in 35 minutes. I forgot to bring Pedro (Edwin's GPS watch thing) So I have no clue what my splits were today or even how I was doing. I ran the first mile with Cassie & Sarah but after Sarah and I walked a little in the second mile, Sarah passed me too and I had no sense of time or speed.

It was unbelieveably hot and humid. It was pretty cool when I could pass someone, a little embarrassing when someone would pass me though. I was number 141 to finish with a time of 34:06 I think! So a PR (personal record for all my non-running readers) and better than my goal. If I had a watch I would have kicked it up a little at the end to get in the 33 minute range. Oh well, next time.

It was so nice to finally meet some of the Houston Running Bloggers! Vic, Barbara, Keith, Holden and Fran, Dave and son, is that all? I had already met Cassie, Manny, Sarah, Jon and Waverly. And I got to meet Jon's wife :)

Here are my latest runs:

August 6 - Total miles 1.78, Total Time 20:00
Mile 1 - 9:54
.78 - 10:06

August 8 - Total miles 2, Total Time 22:52
Mile 1 - 10:15
Mile 2 - 12:37

August 10 - Total Miles 2.32, Total Time 28:49 (with neighbor partner)
Mile 1 - 11:13
Mile 2 -12:08
Last .32 walked to cool down - 5:28

August 11 - Total Miles 2.5, Total Time 30:43 (with neighbor partner)
Mile 1 - 11:03
Mile 2 - 11:07
Last .5 to cool down - 8:31

4 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome to meet you Donna. So glad you and Edwin came out and we were able to visit and run together.

Congrats on your first 5K and your PR. Excellent time, too. I think that 34:06 translates to pretty darn close to sub-30 in much cooler temps.

Keep having fun with running!

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, it was great to meet you! I'm glad we had some time before and after the race to hang out a bit.

I didn't meet Jon's wife - didn't even know she was there! How'd ya manage that?

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger WalkSports.com said...

She was in the cooler ... err, I mean, Buick Rendezvous trying to keep the ice cream sandwiches cold.

And, unfortunately, she moves around about as much as I do. I really regretted not being able to relax and take time around everyone.

But as long as everyone had fun, that's all that matters.

Jon

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't go another 11 days before you post again. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home