Thursday, July 06, 2006

10 things and more

I didn't post on July 4 after I ran. But I had everything written out in my head. Here's my top ten list of Things a New Runner Notices, That Didn't Matter Before:

10: Running 2.5 miles after playing almost an hour of tennis is tough but makes you feel great!
9: People shouldn't put their trash and cut limbs on their sidewalk 3 days before trash pick up. It stinks and you have to run around the piles.
8: Not enough people water their yard, there were ZERO water sprinklers to run thru and I looked hard for one.
7: Some neighborhoods are scary to run thru alone.
6: People shouldn't grill outside in their front yard while people are running. That's just wrong! Even if it IS July 4. The smell is SO good.
5: To pass the time you can invent games. My new game was "One foot in each square on the sidewalk, no more." Until I got to the bigger squares in the sidewalk, then it was 2 steps in.
4: Obviously there are no new running games, Edwin said he already knew that one.
3: Never go outside without OFF, the mosquitos are fierce and like sweat obviously.
2: It's rather disappointing when your husband forgets to meet you outside with a waterhose and bottle of water.
and
1: The best part of a run is jumping in a COLD shower immediately afterwards. Ahhhhh :)

I cut 27 seconds off my previous goal. I wanted to run 30 minutes, 2.5 miles. I finished the 2.5 in 29:42! Woo Hoo! I was so excited I stopped running (I was in front of my house at the 2.5 mile mark) so I stopped the watch and ran to show Edwin. Kinda makes me sad that he's there to cheer me on and encourage me and the past few years I haven't taken an interest in his running achievements.

A word of advice - if you really love someone, be active in their interests, get to know their friends, whether you understand or not. Now go tell someone you love them, and you're sorry that you have not been supportive or understanding of their needs :)

------------------------------------------
On a different note, I just got back from visiting my mother in law. It was good to see her. She's very frail, but sharp and pleasant. She's doing much better with all this than I am. And my father in law. He's so sad, it breaks my heart to watch when he just watches her, or brushes her hair aside. He's hurting and he's trying not to show it in front of her.

It was nice to be there to fix them lunch and just take care of them a bit. Visit and talk. I had to help pick out her burial clothes and that was very tough, but she wanted me and my sister in law to decide which of two choices would be best. And now we know then the time comes what she wants. So strange . . . .

------------------------------------------

I took my kids to the Aly & AJ concert tonight. I guess they are still too young. Though they love to watch them on Disney channel, after one hour of concert they said "OK we can go home now." I said are you sure? Ashton, the oldest, said "Yes they sang my favorite song and it's too loud. We can go now."

So we did. It was beautiful walking thru downtown at night, though the fountain across from Verizon Theater was roped off with police tape.

But they liked it. So that's all that matters.

7 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I think you should send the list to Letterman!

At first I read "whether you understand them or not" and I figured that 1.) you thought we were all crazy or 2.) you really got too close to the marathon finish line in January to hear all of the blubbering and mumbling coming from those that had just finished.

Waverly and I were downtown this evening as well, but earlier.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Yep, runners are a crazy and misunderstood bunch. But now you are one of us! Mwa ha ha. ;)

Congrats on the 2.5 miles. Won't be long before we're running the same speed.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good job Donna on the 2.5.

You really speak truth when you talk about how important it is for spouses to take interest in the other's victories and hobbies. I wish DW understood and appreciated how much I love to run and how determined I am to get in shape. Even more so, I wish she would run, too. I understand, though, that she just doesn't like running.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Vic, hang in there. Edwin's been running for what??? 3 or 4 years maybe?? I don't even know! I have always hated running, didn't understand why anyone would do that unless 1) something ferocious was chasing them or 2) there was a turtle cheesecake or something waiting and you had to hurry to get the last piece.

I still don't understand how anyone can run for more than one hour. Maybe I will understand if I ever get to that point.

My main motivations were 1) get back in shape, and I can run anytime, anywhere. With my crazy schedule that's a big plus. And 2) a blast in the face that made me realize we (Edwin & I) had to have something in common again, start doing some things together.

Give her time, or heck, find something SHE enjoys doing and start doing that with her, then she'll see the effort you are making and she'll try to get more involved in yours.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Donna. :)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Junie B said...

you know what i use to do when i first started running? i would start at "1 times 1 is 1" 1 times 2 is 2" and i would go all the way through "12 times 12 is 144"....weird i know...

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Tiggs said...

I lost my grandmother to Alzheimers in August of last year. She and I were super close and it was very weird to go with my mom to pick out her burial clothes. Since she had alzheimers, she couldn't really choose for herself, so I picked an outfit that I had seen her wear a lot back before the alzheimer's took over....something I associated with her being happy and fun. at her funeral it made me feel better to see her wearing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home